Saturday, February 02, 2008

Highs and Lows

I've always been the sort of person who has a hyperactive conscience. From a very young age I was taught to make moral choices, never tell a lie, and most importantly, to stand up for the underdog.

So, that's how I was feeling when we were approached earlier this week with a possible foster / adopt opportunity. A family member of a friend was looking for someone to foster a baby born into an unfortunate situation, and thought of us. Our chance to be parents was suddenly - incredibly - right in front of us. In typical fashion, I barged into the situation with both feet wearing rose tinted glasses, intent on proving that we were the right family for this child in need of a loving home.

And then, my damn conscience had to step in. The family chose us to foster this baby....and we turned them down. In the interest of keeping the family's confidentiality, I can't share exactly why, but we decided we simply weren't comfortable with parts of the situation, and the right thing to do for us, but more importantly for the child, was to walk away, at least for now.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do and the right thing are the same. It has been a tough week.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I am sorry. It is hard to make the rational decision that is best for the child & yourselves in the long run when you want a baby so bad!!!

Hugs.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Good for you for making the right decision for your family. I know a lot of China and Vietnam families are going the domestic or foster route now. We still believe at least one of our children is in Asia, though...

9:51 PM  
Blogger Daniella said...

I can't imagine how hard your week has been. I commend you and D for knowing what is best for your family.

I'm here if you need me :)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry about this situation. It must have been SO hard to do what you felt was right when you've been waiting SO long to be parents. Knowing you and D, I KNOW you made the right decision, even though it was not the easy path to take.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend for the game!

Donna :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger C+SK said...

I am so sorry you had to make that decision - but I am sure you made the right one.

A big big hug to you! Did you friend in NY ever receive the tiles??

7:25 AM  
Blogger Ava Baby said...

I'm sure this was a VERY difficult decision and that you made the tough/right choice for your family. HUGS, Michele

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home