Monday, October 29, 2007

Little Things

Wrapped up in referral dates, homestudy updates, and wondering when, when and more when?!! - I sometimes forget what it's all about.

Tonight, in my car driving home from picking up dinner, I got a reminder in the most unlikely of places. While I was waiting for the light to turn, a family standing on the street corner caught my eye. There was nothing particularly out of the ordinary about them - just a father and his two very young daughters waiting to cross the intersection.

As I watched, wondering to myself whether the girls were twins or not, an ordinary moment turned into one that warmed my heart. Responding to a tiny hand persistently tugging at his pant leg, the father reached down, picked up one of the little girls, and patiently held her up to the crossing light so that she could push the button. That finished, he gently set her down, scooped up her sister, and repeated the process all over again. Finally, the light turned, and the trio held hands, two sisters skipping on either side of a father clearly happy to just be out walking with his girls.

Sometimes it's the little things that restore your faith. Tonight was a reminder for me of what we are waiting for. And, a much needed lesson on appreciating the simple pleasures in life.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having that little hand in yours is a lovely thing.

I thought of that this weekend as Simon stuck close to me and held my hand so he didn't get lost.

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are right, it is about the little things and it also is about hope...keeping hope alive in your heart and knowing she will be with you and you will hold her hand throughout her life. praying that there is a speed up and she is with you soon....linda

7:51 AM  
Blogger Daniella said...

Thanks for the reminder :) It is the simple things -
~D

6:35 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You are sooo right...
The little things in life are much more then the big things...
Have a WONDERFUL Evening..
Kim

6:39 PM  
Blogger Mom2Mason said...

Great story...I find myself doing this all the time. You wonder what it's like and picture yourself in the same scenario...I just know we will be enjoying these same things, hopefully sooner than we anticipate.
Nicole in FL

8:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The little things are what make the wait so much more bearable. Thanks for the reminder!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Kelly and Matt said...

Thanks for sharing! I can picture that little trio in my head and it brings a smile to my face. Your so right about remembering the simple pleasures. Sometimes those little things are the ones that can touch someone in way nothing else can.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home