Monday, September 11, 2006

Musings on the Wait

I've been tagged by Jessica to post 10 ways to stay positive and pass the time during our adoption wait. I have to say that it's been hard to be positive when we aren't even officially "waiting" yet, so this tag prompted me to really think about how we're going to spend the next year or so.

1. Read up on attachment/adoption issues and child development. Having never been a parent, I have no idea what to expect in terms of normal behavior for our daughter, and how to tell when more specialized help is needed. Also, I guess finally learning to change a diaper is in order.

2. Continue pursuing my hobbies while I still have time and real estate. Ponder paring down said hobbies to make room for miles of brightly colored plastic toys. Decide how to incorporate looms and dollhouses in the same square foot of space.

3. Decide where I'm going to put all of my stained glass equipment to make room for a nursery. Wonder if the vintage method of utilizing a dresser drawer as a crib constitutes child abuse.

4. Work on a lifebook for our daughter. Michelle inspired me with her beautiful digital scrapbooking pages (and the scrapbooking supplies I bought at the last convention really, really need to see the light of day).

5. Collect quilt squares for a 100 Wishes Quilt. Yay! Another hobby!

6. Decide where we'd like to move. Our house is teeny, and with three cats and a new daughter, I think it will feel even teenier as soon as we get back from China.

7. Travel while road trips are still enjoyable. (and to facilitate 5. above.)

8. Participate in DTC/LID activities. Getting to know other adoptive families has been a huge source of support and friendship for us.

9. Enjoy the anticipation and count down to the moment ahead, rather than counting up all the days still to come. Live, rather than wait, this next year away.

10. Saved the best for last - the nursery!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim M. said...

I think you have a pretty good list to keep you nice and busy!

Hope you are DTC soon!

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your I-171H. I am hopeful we will travel together! :)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home