Tuesday, August 22, 2006

DMV Redux

Day after day after day has ticked by with us hearing nothing from USCIS regarding our file. Is it complete? Were we not-so-patiently waiting only to get another misinformed letter dictating unnecessary corrections to our paperwork?

After yesterday's mail revealed another fruitless day of waiting, I couldn't stand it anymore. I dug deep in my email where I had stored the most precious of info offered up by another frustrated adoptive parent - an actual, real telephone number to the person I needed to talk to at USCIS. The fates must have aligned just right at the moment D. dialed, because he got her on the phone. On the first try. And she had .... no.... idea.... where our paperwork was - she never received it from the flunky I spoke with a week ago. So, D. conferenced me in and I answered her questions - who did I leave it with? what did she look like? what time was I there? and so on...She then commented matter-of-factly that our paperwork should never have been sent back to us in the first place, because, the rest of it was stamped "Paid" . Fast forward to today...the paperwork has been found, and a fingerprint appointment has finally been assigned.

Where was it, you ask? In a bin. On the flunky's desk. Waiting to go upstairs. With one other piece of paper from another file. And the flunky doesn't walk upstairs with the papers until the bin gets full. Completely full. Who would have thought that a few flights of stairs would grind our adoption to a screeching halt?

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That sux! Can't go upstairs until the file is full?

If you KNOW someone is waiting on it, don't you think you could make an exception?

Good for you going to the top.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Man, that does stink! At least you are moving along again.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh my goodness, you are handling this better than I would have I believe. I cannot believe they dont' forward the papers "upstairs" until the bin is full. UGH!
Glad to see your moving forward again.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Nancy & Brian said...

Sometimes it's who you know not what you know. Good for you for going to the top. Hopefully this flunky will be in trouble. Doesn't she know that it's good exercise going upstairs each time paper need to go up!
Congrats on your fingerprint appointment. Things will move forward now!!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Ava Baby said...

How frustrating! They really don't seem to have any idea what the wait is like. Well, I'm glad it was found and your moving forward again.
Michele

6:59 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Ug! That is really annoying! You'd think that they would be more picky when hiring, especially when keeping in mind that they are holding peoples hopes and dreams in their hands. Thankfully the paperwork was found!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I feel your pain. My application and pd statement were in the bin for waiting for hs and my completed hs was in a bin waiting for I-600 & payment. Good thing my sw finally called to figure things out. It will all come together

9:31 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You've been tagged, but this is a fun one that I started! See my blog: www.emmaandeva.blogspot.com
Jessica

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home