Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Just Like DMV

After rushing around in an effort to mail our home study last week to USCIS, we received it back a record two days later with a note indicating that we had included the wrong fee amount. Which was impossible, because we hadn't included a fee at all. USCIS had cashed our check for the fee (in the correct amount!) almost four months ago when our file was originally opened. So, this morning I had to pay a visit to our local USCIS office. No phone. No water. No knitting needles, either. I don't know if it was due to the recent terrorist threats, or if security is always that tight at an immigration office, but I was searched twice for illicit items before even entering the building.

I think they recruit USCIS workers from the DMV. I got up to the window and showed the worker the letter that had accompanied the return of our paperwork. She flipped through the pages once, then twice, then a third time and said - you included the wrong fee. I explained the situation and showed her a copy of the canceled check. She flipped through the papers yet again as if they were tarot cards, and told me to have a seat. Fifteen minutes later she comes back and says that she'll pass my file onto someone with a clue. That person, of course, wasn't in the office, and no - she can't tell me what her hours are. Or if my file is complete. Or give me a fingerprint appointment. Or tell me when I might hear from someone. Or smile.

Sigh.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Gotta LOVE government!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

That lovely bureaucratic red tape! Of course I would know nothing about that working for local government...yeah, right. ;)

Sorry you have to go through all this...seems you are having a never ending paperchase. Here's to hoping your file does end up on the correct person's desk and taken care of quickly!

Donna :)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kim M. said...

Okay I hope you are relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine tonight!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Kim M. said...

Oh I forgot to recommend checking out Forks and Chopsticks she is a knitter and has links to other knitter blogs.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Kim for recommending my blog. And thank you Heather for visiting. I also have another blog, The Written Word, which is a virtual book club. If you are interested, just stop by www.virtual-book.blogspot.com. BTW, I just love your knitting blog!

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to run a check to our USCIS cause they couldnt read my name. I assumed it was my signature and they were nuts. But, no, they couldnt read the typing (which was not smeared or anything) on our check. Absolutely nutty.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Days like this make me mad that everyone else gets to just have sex to have baby. It sucks. Actually I was amazed that I didn't have more bad bureaucratic nightmare stories than I did. Here's hoping your paperwork if moving quickly. No news on my I-171H switch yet...

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home