Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Wait

I've neglected this blog lately because of a lack of motivation to face the long wait ahead. It's as if to write it down gives credence to the fact that our referral is, at this point, up to two years away. I'm in denial.

Our paperwork isn't even finished yet and still the wait bears down like an an elephant on my shoulders. I need a snippet of patience, and a new milestone to be met, however small, to carry me through. We are currently awaiting certification from our state to move forward with the rest of our paperwork, which we'll hopefully receive by the end of this month. Perhaps then this lagging limbo will begin to lift and allow us to proceed.

Secret Pal Gift

On a positive note, a little glimmer of support shimmered its way onto my doorstep yesterday. An incredible gift from my knittyboard.com Secret Pal arrived, resplendent with a theme of "Mother's Day". Along with gorgeous merino yarn (after all, it is a knitting swap!), the box contained items chosen with motherhood in mind. A little plush lamb to comfort our daughter-to-be nestled amongst the skeins, accompanied by an adoption book I've been wanting to read for a very long time. Items to keep my hands soft and cuddly included Burt's Bees hand cream and a nifty four-sided nail file. The box also harbored a sampler box of sanity - chocolate (which miraculously arrived intact despite the heat!)

Lastly, inside the package was a very special treat - a heart-shaped wishing box. My pal filled it with her personal wish for our family, and left plenty of room for us to sprinkle the seeds of our own hopes and dreams. Pal, the wish you expressed will be treasured and nurtured forever. Thank you so very much - what an incredibly thoughtful gift!

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Hi Heather,
This waiting game just sucks...I'm not going to sugarcoat it by saying "don't worry, you'll have your daughter before you know it" or "it's all in God's time" or some other equally annoying comment that I've heard hundreds of times already. For me though, the days creep by slowly, but the months have been moving pretty quickly. The wait would sure be easier though if we actually knew when the end would be!! It's the total unknown and constant fluctuations in referrals that is so totally difficult!

In the meantime, you can at least look forward to being part of your DTC Yahoo group, new Secret Pal exchanges, and of course seeing all the referrals and new families created through our FCC group. I think I would surely go crazy if it weren't for the cyber support network and FCC friends, like you and Nancy!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everything made it to you intact, especially the chocolate!

There's no words that can make this wait easier. However, I will say that the wait was worth it for two friends of mine. There is another friend on a waiting list, and now you too. Just remember, your friends wait with you and will celebrate along with you when the waiting is finally over. Celebrate each small step.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting- bitching will keep us sane! Seriously. It is all that will be keeping me going.

12:35 PM  
Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

I also adopted my son, but it was domestic, after I tried for almost 2 years from Brazil. time goes by faster when you knit. the 100 wishes blanket you mentioned sounds like a lovely idea.
keep sharing since they say:
pain shared is a pain cut in half and joy shared is a joy doubled!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home