Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 19, 2007

Sometimes in life, you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Even if it's a place you intended to be.

We found out today that one of our contractors was shot and killed while driving his car in broad daylight on a recent Saturday afternoon. The police are still investigating whether it was an act of road rage, random violence, or targeted activity.

He died two days before his 27th birthday. Just a week or two ago, he stood in my living room and excitedly told me all about the gift he'd bought his mom for Mother's Day. I remember thinking that his mom had raised a thoughtful son. Now, that son has been laid to rest.

I don't know what craziness must lurk within someone to make them pull a trigger on another human being. I don't know whether our contractor knew the shooter. What I do know is that life can change in a split second, and everything you thought you had could be lost.

Today, the crushing inconveniences brought by our house fire seem trivial. Today, the long wait for referral feels like nothing, because I am alive to wait. Today, my wanting, and longing and wishing for things I can't seem to reach, has faded. Today, I am simply thankful for the people I love, and it is enough.

5 Comments:

Blogger C+SK said...

I'm not ever sure what to type, I am so... speechless. I guess is the right word. What a horrible thing to happen.

You are right, horrible events like these do bring perspective into our lives.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Daniella said...

That is so awful - I'm so sorry for this terrible loss. It definitely puts things in perspective -
Happy 7 months b.t.w.
Daniella

2:32 PM  
Blogger Scott and Kim said...

That is terribly sad about one of your contractors. Your entry is so thoughtful, well said and a very good reminder of what is important in life.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Oh my gosh, I feel terrible for his family. It's amazing how a life can be over in a flash and how it affects those left behind changing their lives forever. What a totally senseless act of violence! I can't imagine what could get someone worked up enough to take a life.

I'm saying a prayer for his family tonight.

Donna :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is just tragic and makes you think

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home