Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Aftermath

It's been two weeks since I stepped into our house to find it swirling with ashes and smoke. It's still hard to wrap my head around the fact that what was essentially a very small fire has caused such an uproar in our lives. I still shudder every time I think about the fire inspector telling me that if I'd arrived home minutes later, everything we owned would have been gone. I am so thankful - we were very, very lucky to have escaped with only a few rooms of damage.

At this point we've secured temporary housing, and are hoping that we'll be able to get back into our house in a month or so. It is a very surreal feeling to watch folks in haz mat bunny suits sifting through your stuff determining what should be saved and what should be deemed "non-salvageable". I'm trying not to think too much about the stuff we've lost.

I do want to say a giant THANK YOU for the outpouring of support from each and every one of you who commented and sent emails about my last post. It really helped to know you were out there thinking about us during this rough time. And to Dee, if you are reading, I don't think you can really know what this is like until you've been there. I'm so sorry you have, and if I can help, just ask.

5 Comments:

Blogger wzgirl said...

Hugs, you. Have you contacted Red Cross, by the way? They offer support for this sort of thing....

8:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly and Matt said...

Glad to hear your hanging in there and hope that life gets back to noraml as soon as possible. sending good thoughts your way ;o)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Daniella said...

Hi Heather
I can't imagine what this has been like for you and your husband - you have been in our thughts and prayers - By the way, happy 3 months LID - yeah!
Daniella
www.kowalskijourney.blogspot.com

8:07 PM  
Blogger M&M's and Oolong Tea said...

Just knowing that you are Okay is all I need. xoxo Dee

9:10 AM  
Blogger C+SK said...

Ohhh goodness... I guess a sigh of relief is in order, but I can't even begin to comprehend the sense of loss, even though they were just "things".

One big tight hug to you and your husband. I hope life goes back (starts over?) to normal very very soon!

And yes, one big sigh of relief that you, your husband and your documents are safe! :-)

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home