Sunday, January 21, 2007

Reason #587

I knew there was a reason I've been stalling get started on our daughter's nursery. I haven't been able to quite put my finger on it, but assumed it's the wait, the uncertainty, the "is this really going to happen"-ness of the situation.

But, a few days ago, it became something more. I came from from runninng errands to a house on fire. The fire started in our master bedroom (a total loss), and smoke damaged the rest of the house. We lost everything we'd purchased for the nursery to date (except the crib bedding which was saved by the industrial strength plastic bag it was stored in), as well as all the beautiful gifts we'd been given for our little one (and to my Tea Monkey secret pal - if you are reading this your January gift is currently several shades of black. I'll be buying you a new one).

Standing in the smoke in the aftermath, I was freshly reminded that it's not the stuff that's important. We're safe, our cats are safe, most of our house is still standing and our I-171H was mercifully in a fireproof cabinet. We'll rebuild and move on. It could have been much, much worse. I guess right now the wait is a blessing in disguise - we'll have plenty of time to put the house back together before welcoming our child through its doors.

18 Comments:

Blogger wzgirl said...

Oh dear. Wow. I am so glad that you AND your cats are ok. What a relief. Take care. XO

1:02 PM  
Blogger Daniella said...

Heather - oh my goodness! I am so sorry - but thank God you are okay and your cats are ok and your I171h :) Your outlook is so positive - you and your family are in our prayers....
Daniella
CCAI 06Teamonkey
www.kowalskijourney.blogspot.com

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens, I am sorry to hear that. I am happy your family is safe!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!

I am so sorry! You are right, there are many things more important than things....you, hubby, kitties and I-171H are all safe.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I cannot believe this news! How can we help? Lamb, I am so sorry this happened. XOXOOX, Laura

5:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, that is terrible. I am so sorry. Thank God you are all safe and sound. You're right, it's just stuff, but it is still devastating. I'm so so sorry.

8:23 PM  
Blogger mandt said...

Heather, I am so sorry. Thank God everyone is ok. I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but it sounds like you are one tough cookie! You guys are in our family's prayers.

Terri

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness. I am glad that you are OK. Thank God for that.

You guys will be in my prayers.

Hang in there,
Rebecca

4:35 AM  
Blogger Scott and Kim said...

Heather, I am sorry to hear about this. I can not imagine how shocking this was. Thank God both of you, and your kitties, are okay. I'm also glad the nursery bedding was okay. Kim

7:57 AM  
Blogger Leigh and Anthony said...

Heather,

I'm so sorry. I'm glad everyone is safe. You are in our thoughts.

Leigh

5:08 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Thank God you are all safe! I am so very sorry.

11:26 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

Oh Heather! I'm so very sorry about your home. And I'm glad you and your family are ok.

8:22 AM  
Blogger D & S said...

I'm so sorry about what happened, that is so frightening. I'm glad that you're ok and your family is too.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Christi and Abbey said...

Wow! I am so sorry. You sound like you are handling it all very well. When you do start your nursery it will be a joy.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

Glad your family is ok and thank goodness you have a fireproof box! Here's hoping to never re-doing an I-171H again:)

Lisa
LID 10-27-06

3:09 PM  
Blogger Lucy Blue said...

We are so sad that you lost your house! John's parents lost their house to a fire about 4 years ago. They have since rebuilt and actually their house is even nicer than before ;) I hope that is not a stupid thing to say as it it is sad to lose sentimental items as well though. We wish you the best and will keep checking your blog to find out how you are doing. Hang in there!

Tonya & John
LID 8/16/06

5:03 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

How Scary!!

Wow - I am so glad that everyone is o.k. and that you are 'trying' to look on the positive side...

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mom2Mason said...

Dear Heather - I am so sorry to hear the news...If I lived any closer I would offer any help to you I could!
What a blessing every
one was unharmed. You seem to be dealing with this the best you can and I sure admire your strength.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Nicole in Tampa

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home