Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm one of those people who generally doesn't feel old. Yes, I get creaks and aches and fine lines, but still, I try not to dwell on the fact that I'm getting older each year.

D. travels a lot, so at least one night a week I find myself spending time in my local yarn shop, weaving and talking to other weavers and knitters. I was discussing yarn with the daughter of another regular last night, and the topic turned to knitting children's sweaters. I mentioned that I had lots of suitable yarn, but no kids to dress up in handknit clothing.

With a straight face she turned to me and said, "well, at my age, it seems like everyone is falling pregnant and having kids." I stood there stunned, suddenly feeling older than I've felt in a long while. I still can't shake the image in my head of pregnancies falling down upon 19 year olds like manna from heaven.

Not knowing what to say, I mumbled that we're in the process of adopting. "Really, adoption?", she asked. "I was adopted...well, I grew up with my real mom. But my stepdad adopted me."

Now I feel old, and decidedly like an un-real mom. Yippee.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Oh, how insensitive!

I don't know if you read our blog, but we finally got a referral from VN. With a China LID of 2/28, we will probably have to put our dossier on hold so the kids are at least one year apart. We hope to travel to VN in late summer or early fall.

I still can hardly believe this is happening, but our little boy is so cute!

And, for the record, I'm totally old. Just turned 44. :)

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home