Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Paradox

par·a·dox (păr'ə-dŏks') n.

A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true.

It's been talked about, both openly and in frightened whispers , and camps have firmly been pitched on both sides of the fence for months. Sadly, the optimistic side has lost.

In the supposed interest of improving the fate of China's future adopted children, the CCAA has finally issued new criteria for potential parents hoping to adopt from China, effective May 2007.

I'm pissed.

Not that I think that China shouldn't have a say in who adopts it's children. I do. Or that I think that the rules are invalid or discriminatory. I don't.

No, I'm pissed that once again we have to submit to someone else's idea of what makes us worthy parents. We've undergone more than most to come this far, and have made peace with parenting choices that many won't even consider. And yet, as of May 2007, we are no longer good enough to adopt from China - unfortunately, we don't meet all of the new criteria. Any hope we may have had of adopting a sibling for our daughter from her homeland is now dashed.

At this point, all signs for our current adoption are pointing to one saving grace - dossiers logged in by May 2007 will likely not be subject to the new regulations. However, I'm concerned that our dossier probably won't have made it through the review room prior to that time. And, until it passes review, we're still standing on the battle line, waiting to get shot down. There are rumors swirling that dossiers not yet clearing the review room will go through a "soft" application of the new rules in the months leading up to May 2007. Where does this leave us? I don't know.

China is trying to do right by its children. What a crappy paradox it is.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry to read that the CCAA's new rules will impact your future plans. My hearts goes out to you.

~Rebecca

4:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

We no longer meet the new requirements either. Right now I'm just terrified. I'm sure once it sinks in I'll be angry too. There's nothing for us to do right now but wait. I don't know what I'll do if I wait another two plus years and stioll don't have a child. I just don't know.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Daniella said...

Let's pray and hope being already lid October, will not delay or stop any of our adoptions -
Daniella
LID 10-27-06

8:24 PM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Just wondering what the new requirements are... I'd like to adopt a daughter from China someday in the future and I am wondering what the changes are...

alreillygator@yahoo.com

9:20 PM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am so sorry, Heather. My thoughts are with you and all the others affected by this decision.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Mom2Mason said...

I just read the new requirements on the CCAI website and unfortunately now our hopes as well are fading at a chance for a sibling from China.
It's a gloomy, rainy day in FL and this just darkens it further...so much for a Merry Christmas now for me.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I am sending you prayers and positive energy.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Heather, I am right there with you on this one. Even when we pass review (hopefully very soon now) I still feel like we're standing on the battle line until we actually have our referral in hand. There's some nagging thing in the back of my mind that says we're not totally out of the woods until we actually have our referral. I know that doesn't sound very optimistic, but it is what it is.

Donna

4:53 PM  
Blogger Nancy & Brian said...

My heart goes out to you. And, I agree. We also will not qualify to adopt a sibling for Lily from China. If it is their way of catching up with dossiers, I think most people would be understanding of a very long wait as long as they could still adopt with the same requirements as before. What happens later in the years after catching up and the babies are waiting and waiting for families? What's best for the babies? I think loving families.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

hi. i finally found the material i want for your quilt. so with all the wishes, we will just pray that things dont change for you with the new criteria.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home