Thursday, April 06, 2006

Week 4 - The Dossier Guide

Yesterday, we finally received the holy grail of the adoption paperchase - the dossier guide. For those of you not on top of adoption lingo - the dossier is a compilation of financial documents, immigration approvals, home study information and other documents that international adoptive families must put together for foreign governmental review.

Since each piece of the dossier requires notarization, certification and authentication from different state, national and international entities prior to being finalized, the dossier guide is intended to provide parents with instructions on what to send where and to whom. Lots and lots of instructions - almost 50 pages worth. Guess I'll be reading more than knitting for the next few days...

In other news we have our third home study visit tonight. Just when we thought things were going smoothly, we have hit our first minor snag. I am anticipating changing jobs over the next few weeks, which will have the effect of slowing down our home study process during the transition. In the meantime we are continuing to collect documents and hope that my situation will resolve itself quickly and we'll be able to move forward full speed ahead!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ava Baby said...

The dossier packet can be overwhelming. If you haven't already, get yourself a 3-ring notebook and plenty of clear sleeves to organize your documents. I also used post-it notes along the side to label the different documents. I put a different color note to indicate a document that needed to be notarized. Once I pulled the packet apart and separated forms from information, it wasn't too bad. Good luck.
Michele
LID 9/26

6:02 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Alison from "Just another day" knititng blog suggested I check out your adoption blog. I just started my own knitting blog, and I'm adopting from China. We also are using CCAI and are a few months ahead of you. Our DTC date was Feb. 1 and LID was Feb. 28. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I went through the dossier pretty quickly. Good luck!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home